Cavendish Stamps & Model Supplies “ Then & Now”

saltergate

Cavendish Stamps and Model Supplies at 75 Saltergate. Proprietor was Lawrence Arthur Little, a tall thin man, dark haired with horn rimmed glasses and a pencil moustache. He was assisted in the shop by Mrs Pringle. Originally the business was situated on Cavendish Street (hence the name) but by 1952 it had moved to Saltergate. Selling model railways, aircraft kits and accessories in the front of the shop and stamps in the rear of the building it was very popular with young boys. Mr Little also ran a Scalextric Club in the basement.

Later Paget House was associated with Pagets Credit Club which issued cheques to be spent in certain shops which were paid for by a weekly fee, with interest added on of course. When the business was sold the new owners were instructed to return the shop frontage to its previous state. Looking at it now you can barely see where the shop frontage once was.

saltergate-colour

Wendy Pockson.