SUMMARY OF FACTS AND EVENTS.
The following chronological table, though necessarily
imperfect, contains a brief summary of the facts and events
recorded in the preceding pages, together with various memoranda,
extracted at the expense of much time and labour,
from the church register, newspapers, private manuscripts, and public documents. Many of the incidents, to which
we are here about to assign a place, could not have been
incorporated into the body of our history ; but it is hoped,
that they will not prove unacceptable to the reader, in their
138 – Chesterfield a Roman station.
1037 – Chesterfield church supposed to have been erected.
1086 Chesterfield a bailiwick, or hamlet, belonging to the manor of
1087-1100 Chesterfield church, together with its chapels, given to the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln.
1100 Chesterfield church, together with its chapels, appropriated to the Dean of Lincoln, and his successors.
1142 William Peverel, natural son of William the Conqueror, and Lord of the manor of Chesterfield, died.
1154 Henry II. seized upon the manor of Chesterfield.
1189 Richard, Cceur de Lion, gave the manor of Chesterfield to John, Earl of Mortaigne.
1195 A rent-charge out of the manor of Chesterfield assigned to the
brethren of the Hospital of St. Leonard.
1204 King John gave the manor of Chesterfield to William Briwere,
and granted a charter of incorporation, with two weekly
markets, and a fair for eight days, at the festival of the
1227 William Briwere, Lord of the manor of Chesterfield, died.
1232 William, his only surviving son, died.
1233 (December 28,) Henry III. confirmed the charter granted by
1234 Dedication of the church of Chesterfield.
1234 Matthew de Hathersage gave six acres of land to Chesterfield
1266 Battle of Chesterfield, in the time of Simon de Montfort.
1266 The inhabitants of Brampton claimed a part of the burial-ground
of Chesterfield church as their own, and were accvistomed to
repair the walls of that part at their own expense.
1294 Edward I. granted a guild of merchants to the town of Chesterfield.
1330 The QuoWarranto Roll mentions the Holy-Rood fair, and another
on the eve of Palm Sunday.
1340 Roger de Chesterfield granted to the church of Chesterfield
eighteen messuages, and twelve acres of land.
1351 John, second son of Edmund of Woodstock, Lord of the manor
1353 John, Earl of Kent, held the Hospital of St. Leonard in capite.
1357 Chantry of St. Michael founded by Roger de Chesterfield.
1385 Ralph de Fretchville held land in Chesterfield.
1386 Hospital of St. Leonard seized by Joan, Princess of Wales.
1386 Sir Thomas Holland held the manor of Chesterfield.
1392 Guild of aldermen, brethren and sisters of the Virgin Mary, and
the Holy Cross, founded by Richard II., and endowed by
Thomas Dur and others.
1430 Thomas Beresford, of Fenny Bentley, mustered a troop of horse
at Chesterfield, for the service of Henry VI.
1442 Richard Neville, Earl of Salisbury, Lord of the manor of Chesterfield,
in right of Alice, his wife, one of the co-heiresses of
1472 Scarborough castle, with lands in Yorkshire, given by Act of Parliament
to Ann, Duchess of Gloucester, one of the co-heiresses
of Richard, Earl of Salisbury, in exchange for the manor of
1500 Chantry of the Holy Cross founded prior to this time, by Hugh
1500 Dr. John Verdon, chaplain of the chantry of St. Michael, died.
1501 The Rev. James Brailsford vicar of Chesterfield.
1507 Hospital of St. Leonard granted by Henry VII., to John Blythe;
but seized by Margaret, Countess of Salisbury, as an appendage
to the manor of Chesterfield.
1509-1547 West end of Chesterfield church rebuilt during this period.
1547 Chesterfield parish contained about 2000 persons of sixteen years
1547 Revenues of the chantry of St. Michael valued at lll.7s.3d. ; those
of the chantry of the Holy Cross at 10Z. 6*. 8d. ; and those of
the guild of aldermen, brethren, and sisters of the Virgin Mary,
and the Holy Cross, at 15/. 10s. per annum.
1547 The Hospital of St. Leonard claimed by Francis, Earl of Shrewsbury,
as an appendage to the manor of Chesterfield.
1558 (November 17,) Commencement of the earliest existing register at
the church of Chesterfield.*
1558 The Rev. Martin Lane vicar of Chesterfield.
1572 The Rev. John Wood inducted to the living of Chesterfield.
1586 Commencement of the first great plague in Chesterfield.
1592 George, Earl of Shrewsbury, died, seised of Chesterfield, with
the wapentake, or hundred of Scarsdale.
1594 (April 24,) Charters of incorporation granted to Chesterfield by
preceding monarchs, confirmed by Elizabeth.
1594 Ralph Clarke nominated first mayor of Chesterfield, under the
charter of Elizabeth.
1594 Free Grammar School endowed by Godfrey Foljambe, Esq. ; and
chapel of St. Helen appropriated to its use.
1595 Lectureship at Chesterfield endowed by Godfrey Foljambe, Esq.;
and patronage of it vested in the Archbishop of York.
1600 The Rev. Cuthbert Hutchinson inducted to the living of Chesterfield.
1603 (January 3,) John, son of Peter Boler, baptized at Tapton bridge.
1608 The Rev. George Gamutt inducted to the living of Chesterfield.
1608-9 Commencement of the latter plague in Chesterfield.
1613 Manor of Chesterfield purchased from the Shrewsbury family by
William Cavendish, Earl of Newcastle.
16 14 House of Correction built.
16 16 The Rev. Matthew Waddington inducted to the living of Chesterfield.
1618 Michaelmas sessions held at Chesterfield.
1628 Title of Earl of Chesterfield given to the Stanhope family.
* The following is a copy of the title of this ancient Register.” Registrum in Ecclesia de Chesterfield, de omnibus commaritatis, baptizatiset sepultis, a coronatione Serenissinwe Reginse nostrae Elizabeth*, decimo septimo videlicet die mensis Novembris, in Anno Domini 1558, usque ad Annum Domini prsesentem et ”
The following is a copy of the register of the burial of this ” ancient father,” as he has been called. ” Ffebruarii 1608, Cuthbert Hutchinson, vicar Sepult. quinto die.” But if he was inducted to the living of Chesterfield in 1600, and buried February 5, 1608, on what authority, it may be asked, is it stated in the Northern Star for November, 1817, that he was ” Vicar of Chesterfield thirty-eight years ?” Vide p. 6l.
At July 21, 1618, in the church register, the following memorandum occurs. ” This day and year the Quarter Sessions of the Peace for the High Peak and Scarsdale was kept at Chesterfield, by virtue of his Majesty’s Commission and writ out of Kings Bench to the Sheriff for that purpose, and a Jury was then sworn and impannelled, but delivered no verdict for want of some presentments brought unto them. There was upon the bench then the Lord Darcy, Sir Francis Leeke, Bart., Sir William Kniveton, Knt. and Bart., Sir Peter Fletchervile, Sir John Rodes, and Sir Roger Manners, Knights, George Blount, Esq. . before whom divers alehouse keepers entered into recognizances for brewing according to the statute, which was the chiefest state of their business.”
1631 (July 21,) Charles I. confirmed the charters of preceding monarchs,
and granted four fairs to Chesterfield : February 28, May 4,
for two days, July 4, and September 14, for eight days.
1632 (November 11,) Starchamber decree, in the cause of Leech, Knt.
versus Foljambe, Bart., and Waddington, Vicar.
1632 Brampton and Wingerworth chapelries of Chesterfield.
1632 The inhabitants of Brampton and Whittington bound to make
certain offerings to the church at Chesterfield, and to contribute
their portion of sacramental bread.
1632 The inhabitants of Wingerworth subject only to a nominal dependance
upon the church at Chesterfield, and their attendance there
1634 Chesterfield ordered to provide 50?., as its portion of ship-money.
1637 (March 15 and 16,) Assizes held at Chesterfield ; and five men, and
one woman executed, at Tapton bridge.
1638 The Rev. William Edwards inducted to the living of Chesterfield.
1642 (October 17,) Sir John Gell marched into Chesterfield with his
regiment, and raised 240 men by beat of drum.
1643 (May and December,) The Earl of Newcastle’s forces came to
1643 General Sir Thomas Fairfax, marched from Derby to Chesterfield,
with four or five hundred men.
1653 The Rev. John Billingsley inducted to the living of Chesterfield.
1661 Meetings of the Society of Friends held in Chesterfield.
1662 (August 24,) The Rev. John Billingsley ejected from the living of
Chesterfield, by the passing of the Bartholomew Act.
1664 The Rev. John Coope inducted to the living of Chesterfield.
1666-7 Brass money coined in Chesterfield.
1678 Taylor’s Alms’ Houses erected.
1683 The Rev. John Lobley inducted to the living of Chesterfield.
1694 Dissenting Chapel in Elder Yard erected.
1695 The Rev. William Blakeman inducted to the living of Chesterfield.
1698 Sir Charles Skrymsher, of Chesterfield, knight, high sheriff of
the county of Derby.
1703 The Rev. Henry Audsley inducted to the living of Chesterfield.
1703 Large’s Alms’ Houses erected.
1704 Dr. Samuel Pegge, antiquary, born at Chesterfield.
1705 The Rev. John Peck inducted to the living of Chesterfield.
1707 Thomas Seeker, afterwards Archbishop of Canterbury, a pupil
at the Grammar School of Chesterfield, under Mr. Robert
* ” In the Review of the Life and Character of Archbishop Seeker, prefixed to his Ser288
1707 The Rev. William Higgs inducted to the living of Chesterfield.
1710 Free Grammar School rebuilt.
1715 The Rev. Thomas Hincksman inducted to the living of Chesterfield.
1715 Salt works established in Chesterfield; rock salt brought from
Northwich. These works soon abandoned as unprofitable.
1718 Chancel of the church enlarged, and newly seated.
1722 John Bright, of Chesterfield, Esq., high sheriff of the county of
1733 Two flagons presented to the church of Chesterfield ; one by Mr.
Thomas Dowker, of Gainsborough, merchant, and the other
by his sister Mrs. Margaret Wilson, of London. *
1733 Bishop Hallifax born at Chesterfield.
1739 The Rev. William Wheeler inducted to the living of Chesterfield.
1750 January, April and November fairs established.
1751 Rose’s Alms’ Houses erected.
1756 (October 21,) Organ opened at the church.
1 760 Brass chandeleers in the church given by Godfrey Heathcote, Esq.
1764 Mrs. Radcliffe, the celebrated novelist, whose maiden name was
Ward, said to have been born at Chesterfield.
1765 The Rev. John Wood inducted to the living of Chesterfield.
1769 North part of the cross aisle of Chesterfield church rebuilt.
1770 Quakers’ Meeting-house erected.
mons, it is said, that ‘ he received his education at several private schools and academies
in the country.’ One of those places was at Chesterfield, in Derbyshire, (where he had a
sister married to Richard Milnes), under Mr. Robert Browne, a good grammarian and
schoolmaster there. Mr. Browne used to tap his head sometimes and say ‘ Tom, if thou wouldst but be one of us, (meaning a Conformist,) thou wouldst be a Bishop.’
“Pegge’s Anonymiana, Cent, viii., No. 70, p. 375. In an account which Dr. Pegge gives of the Rev. Thomas Hadfield, ofWakefield, (Cent.vi., No. 30, p. 97,) we find another allusion to Mr. Browne, under whose mastership, the Grammar School at Chesterfield acquired the celebrity to which it attained, at the beginning of the last century.
” I have read S. Chandler’s Ditcourse on occasion of the Death of Thomas Hadfield,” says the doctor; ” it is very just and sound, and what he says of Hadfield, I believe, is very true. The person of whom Hadfield learned his first rudiments of literature, was Mr. Robert Browne, schoolmaster of Chesterfield; and the corrected exercises by which he continued improving
himself, were those of the Rev. Mr. William Burrow, the successor of Mr.
Browne. At that tune, Hadfield was apprentice to a shoemaker at Chesterfield; and afterwards, when he was a minister at Wakefield, and a shoemaker of that town was to make him a pair of shoes, and came to take measure of him, he told him, ‘ O, you need not trouble yourself about that ; long sixes or short sevens will do :’ upon which the mechanic could not but stare, to find his reverence so exactly skilled in the terms of the gentle craft.”
*Inscription on Mr. Dowker’s Flagon. To the Glory of God, and for the use of the Church of Chesterfield, the gift of Mr.Thomas Dowker, of Gainsborough, East-land Merchant, and Son of Mr. Thomas Dowker, Alderman of Chesterfield. Given A. D. 1733.
Inscription on Mrs. Wilson’s Flagon. To the glory of God, and for the use of the
Church of Chesterfield, the gift of Mrs. Margaret Wilson, of London, Widow, Sister of Mr. Thomas Dowker, who gave the other Flagon, Given A. it. 1733.
1770 Act obtained for making a canal from the town of Chesterfield to
the River Trent.
1774 Bells of the church hung anew, and sixth bell recast.
1774 West part of the roof of the church taken down, newly timbered,
and fresh leaded.
1776 (August 17,) The Rev. John Wesley visited Chesterfield for the
1777 A Roman pig of lead, bearing the inscription,
“Imp. Gees. Hadrian! Aug. Met. Lut.,” found on Cromford Nether Moor.
1777 (June 4,) Canal completed, and first vessel brought to the town of
1778 Blue Meeting erected.
1778-9 Not one day’s rain or snow from the day of St. Thomas, (December
21, 1778,) to that of St. Mark (April 25,) 1779.
1779 (March 25,) Cherry, plum and pear trees in full blossom.
1781 The Rev. George Bossley inducted to the living of Chesterfield.
1783 Another Roman pig of lead found near Matlock, bearing the inscription,
” L. Aruconi Verecund. Metal. Lutud.”
1787 A third Roman pig of lead found on Matlock Moor, bearing the
inscription, “Ti. Cl. Tr. Lut. Br. Ex. Arg.”
1787 South side of the church-yard enlarged.
1787-8 Present Town Hall built, at the expense of the Duke of Portland,
by Mr. Carr of York.*
1788 (November 5,) Centenary of the Revolution commemorated on a very large scale at Chesterfield : tables erected which almost covered the market-place : a procession which extended nearly half way to Whittington : an old man, named Crich, who was born before the Revolution, carried through the streets on a chair.
1788 (December,) Chesterfield contained 801 houses, and 3626 inhabitants.
1790 The body of the church and chancel whitewashed, the pillars in
the body of the church painted for thefirst time, by assessment, (as is expressly stated in the register,) and the cross aisle and chancel newly painted for the first time by subscription of the inhabitants of the town. The new sun-dial painted in the same
Mr. Joseph Bower and \ _., ,
, A .f T , r Churchwardens.
Mr. Anthony Johnson J
Rev. Mr. Bossley, Vicar.
Jethro Turner, Parish-Clerk.
* It was erroneously stated at page 185, that the Town Hall “was built by the late Duke of Devonshire, about the year 1790.” A memorandum in the church register has enabled us to rectify the error. The Duke of Devonshire did not become Lord of the Manor of Chesterfield till 1792.
t The representative of the family of Crich, of Ashover, is Cornelius Crich, of Walton, shoemaker, grandson of Cornelius Crich, who died aged 102, in the year 1789. This venerable centenarian was the individual above mentioned.
1790 (December 23,) Chesterfield visited by a terrible storm, which was
felt also in London.
1790-1 The most severe winter that could ever be remembered by any
person then living, for storms of wind, hail, rain, thunder
1791 (June 12, Whitsunday,) A heavy fall of snow early in the morning.
1791 (November,) Town Library established.
1792 Manor of Chesterfield transferred by the Duke of Portland to the
Duke of Devonshire, in exchange for estates in Nottinghamshire.
1792 Workhouse let by the corporation to the overseers of the poor on
a lease of 99 years.
1792 (October 23,) Michael Solomon, (called Mahone,) died.
1794 (July,) A troop of cavalry raised by subscription at Chesterfield.
1795 New altar-piece in the church completed.
1795 Grain of all kinds so scarce, in the summer, that it could with
difficulty be obtained at any price. In the beginning of August
wheat sold at a guinea a strike, and oats at 2l. 4s. per quarter.
1795 Methodist Chapel erected.
1796-7 (November, December, January,) Constant high winds, which
did great injury to trees and buildings.
1797 Midsummer sessions removed from Bakewell to Chesterfield, and
Michaelmas sessions from Chesterfield to Derby.
1797 Wheat sold at seventeen shillings the load : three strikes to the
1799 (March,) Ancient seal found at the Broad Oaks.
1799 From the month of July to August 11 so wet, that corn and grain
of every kind were as backward as ever was known.
1800 Quakers’ Meeting-house enlarged.
1800 Dispensary established.
1800 Literary and Philosophical Society established.
1801 Chesterfield contained 895 houses, and 4267 inhabitants; viz. 1929
males, and 2338 females.
1803 (December,) Chesterfield became a depot for French prisoners,
and continued so till the peace in 1814.
1808 (August 31,) The first race day at night, some thieves picked the
lock of the door opposite the clerk’s house, went down the
north aisle, picked that lock at the bottom, tried the chancel
door opposite, which was bolted inside ; they then picked
the other chancel door lock, and the vestry, four double locks
on the chest padlocks, wrenched two clasp locks open, (which
they could not pick) with the sexton’s pick-axe, drank one
bottle of wine, and took four with them ; took the two silver
cups, the large salver dish, and the small plate, and got clear
off the same way ; but left the two large flagons in the chest.
The Rev. Mr. Bossley, Vicar.
John Turner, Parish Clerk.
,Mr. Hurwood and” _
Mr. Joseph Bee, }
1811 Chesterfield contained 951 houses, and 4 591 inhabitants; viz. 2140
males, and 2451 females.
1814 National school erected.
1814 Vaccine institution established.
1816 (April,) Savings’ bank established.
1817 Church spire supposed to be in danger of falling.
1817 (August 3,) Baptist church established.
1818 (January,) Vestry meeting called for the purpose of considering
whether the spire of the church should be taken down.
1819 Agricultural Society established.
1819 School of Industry erected.
1820 New peal of ten bells put up in the tower of the church.
1821 Chesterfield contained 1048 houses, and 5077 inhabitants; viz.
2345 males, and 2732 females.
1822 The Rev. Thomas Hill inducted to the living of Chesterfield.
1822 Methodist chapel enlarged.
1822 Independent chapel erected.
1823 Unitarian chapel enlarged, and organ erected.
1824 North-east side of the church-yard enlarged.
1825 (May 25,) Act obtained for lighting Chesterfield with gas, and
supplying it with water.
1825-6 Corporation baths erected.
1826 Gas works erected.
1826 Benevolent Society instituted.
1826 A survey of the borough of Chesterfield made by Mr. Glossop, of
Whittington, with a view to the formation of a new rate.
1828 Market Place enlarged, by taking down a range of buildings,
which separated it from the New Square, formerly called the
1828 (January,) Chesterfield Gazette established.
1828 (April 6,) Chancel of the church first lighted with gas.
1829 Infant School erected.
1829 Suit instituted in chancery against the corporation, as trustees of
the Free Grammar School.
1829 Chesterfield troop of yeomanry cavalry disbanded.
1829 Ringing of the church bells at the races discontinued, by order of
1830 (June 25,) Chesterfield visited by the most tremendous storm ever
* We copy the following account of the above storm from the Derbyshire Courier, for July 3, 1830. ” Last week, Chesterfield and the neighbourhood, were visited by the most tremendous storm ever remembered, and which has left such traces of its fury as will require length of time, and the expenditure of very considerable sums to repair. It commenced on Friday, about midnight, and continued until three o’clock, during which time the thunder and lightning were most awful, flash followed flash with fearful brilliance and rapidity, and the heavy and almost constant rolling of the thunder was truly appalling. During this dreadful agitation of the elements, the rain fell in terriffic torrents. In a very short space of time, rivulets and ditches became broad and rapid rivers, carrying in their course devastation and alarm, and either sweeping away, or considerably damaging every bridge which they encountered. Many crops of corn and grass were totally destroyed, owing to the deposition of gravel and rubbish, which was in many cases several inches deep, and
which will render it almost impracticable to cut them, and will also occasion infinite mischief to the farmer, by depriving him of all benefit from the land for a considerable time. The river Hipper, which runs through a part of New Brampton, and the lower part of Chesterfield, overflowed its banks to an unparalleled extent, its waters being in a variety of instances, upwards of a yard deep in places where they were never before known to reach, immense injury has been consequently sustained by the owners of property in its
neighbourhood. The candlewick manufactory of Messrs. Hewitt, Longson and Co., has been injured to a very great extent. The machinery in the mill was so seriously damaged as to occasion a stoppage of the works for several days ; large quantities of yarn laid to bleach in the fields were swept away, as well as ashes, used in the manufactory, of considerable value, the coals were also washed away by the force of the stream. On the subsiding of the waters, the premises presented a most deplorable appearance. The loss at this manufactory is estimated at upwards of 600/. The iron-foundery of Messrs. E. Smith and Co., suffered greatly; very considerable loss has been sustained owing to the water inundating the workshops and washing away many valuble moulds, &c. ; one side of the counting-house was demolished by the force of the flood, but we are happy to learn that the books and papers were saved. Had the storm continued half an hour longer, the destruction of the blast furnace would have been inevitable, as the water had risen above the twiers. The damage done at these works is estimated at upwards of 300/. Serious loss has also been sustained by Messrs. B. Smith and Co., at the Adelphi iron-works, Duckmanton.
The potteries of Messrs. E. Wright and Son, Messrs. Oldfield and Co., and Mr. W. Briddon, have sustained considerable injury. The residence of Mr. Wright was completely inundated, the water having attained the height of a yard in the lower apartments, a circumstance quite unprecedented, and which has occasioned great destruction of furniture, &c.
The hat factories at Beaver-place are injured greatly, and the strong walls surrounding the reservoir which supplies them with water are completely demolished.
A person named Job Barker, who works at Mr. Davies’s factory, and his family, had a very narrow escape with life ; his house is built by the side of the river, near one of the bridges, the arches of which proving quite insufficient to give egress to the tremendous rush of water, occasioned an overflow of immense force from the sides. Nearly one side of the house inhabited by J. Barker was instantly swept away, the water rushing in with overwhelming force, carrying away the furniture, &c. and putting the lives of the inmates in such peril as to render extraordinary exertions necessary for their rescue, which was at length accomplished by breaking into the attics from the house adjoining, and thus affording the means of escape to the inhabitants. The whole of Beaver-street was inundated to a very considerable depth, and much loss sustained by the residents from the destruction of victuals, barrels of ale, &c., which had been prepared for the consumption of the following week, it being the feast.
The gardens on the banks of the river have been totally destroyed, and we may safely assert some hundreds of yards of walling overthrown, and partly washed away. The destruction of live stock has been very great, the poor animals having been carried away by the overwhelming torrent in great numbers from the adjacent meadows, and dashed with fury against the bridges, or any other obstacle they encountered. In the neighbouring
villages, the small rills and brooks were swollen with a rapidity, and to an extent wholly without precedent, carrying away the rural bridges erected across them, and spreading a wide surface of water on all sides, which we are pained to state was generally fatal to the flocks. Mr. Wragg, of Calow, had 17 sheep drowned, Mr. Cocking 12, and Mr. Hopkinson 9- Some sheep were also drowned at Barlow, and we fear that in many other places the farmer has to lament the loss of his cattle. Much wheat has been totally spoilt in the
1831 Midsummer sessions transferred from Chesterfield to Derby, and
Easter sessions removed to Chesterfield.
1830 (July,) Decree of court obtained against the corporation, in the
suit above mentioned.
1830 New race-stand erected.
1831 School rooms for Sunday scholars erected on the ground adjoining
the Unitarian chapel.
1831 Mr. Roberta’s news room established.*
1831 Chesterfield contained 1208 houses, and 5775 inhabitants; viz
2665 males, and 3110 females.
1831 (August,) Mr. R. R. Hurwood and Mr. Josiah Brown, inhabitants
of Chesterfield, lost in the wreck of the Rothsay Castle steampacket,
off Puffin Island.
1832 Board of Health established, in consequence of the alarming
ravages made by cholera in the neighbouring towns. Not a
single case occurred at Chesterfield.
1832 Tapton and Spital bridges rebuilt, the old ones having been partially
washed away by a flood.
1832 (October,) Their royal highnesses, the Duchess of Kent and Princess
Victoria, passed through Chesterfield, on then* way from
Chatsworth to Hardwick.
1832 (December,) First contested election for North Derbyshire.f
Candidates, Lord Cavendish ; Thomas Gisborne, Esq.; and
Sir George Sitwell.
1833 (December,) E. Rushton, Esq., commenced his examination at
the Town Hall, into the charters, management, &c., of the corporation,
under the commission of inquiry issued by his Majesty,
William IV., for that purpose.
barn ; and we are sorry to learn that the two mill-dams belonging to Mr. Candy, at Holymoor-
side, have burst and occasioned him considerable damage. In the warehouses at the
Chesterfield canal wharf, the water reached a considerable height; two hogsheads of
sugar, belonging to Mr. William Towndrow, and Mr. Joseph Cowley, were quite spoiled.
We are thankful to find that amidst the many disasters incident to this calamity, human
life has providentially been spared, a circumstance almost miraculous, when we
reflect on the suddenness with which the flood rushed at midnight into numerous houses,
in many of which the inmates were soundly sleeping.”
* There had been coffee rooms at the principal inns in the town, for more than half a
century before this time ; but no general news room.
t Under the act passed to amend the representation, the county of Derby was divided
into two electoral portions, called respectively the Northern and Southern divisions, each
of which now sends two members to parliament. The Northern division includes the
whole of the hundreds of High Peak and Scarsdale, and so much of the wapentake of
Wirksworth, as, by virtue of an order made at the Quarter Sessions for the county of
Derby, held at the borough of Derby, June 28, 1831, is comprized in the Bakewell division,
as established by that order. The place of election for the Northern division is Bakewell,
which was preferred to Chesterfield on account of its central situation. The polling places
under the Reform Act, were Alfreton, Bakewell, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Chesterfield, and
Glossop. During the past year, Castleton and Eckington have been added to the number;
and an application will shortly be made to the privy council for an extension of the
same privilege to Buxton and Tideswell. The number of registered voters at the first
general election, under the above act, was 4370, of whom 3677 polled. The expenses of
the High Sheriff, (Samuel Shore, of Norton Hall, Esq.,) were 3051. is. Lord Cavendish
and Thomas Gisborne, Esq., were the successful candidates, the numbers being respectively
at the close of the poll, as follow.
1834 (January 1,) Chesterfield and North Derbyshire Banking Company
1834 (August 17,) Galleries in Soresby Street Chapel opened.
1835 Actual value of the vicarage of Chesterfield 204?.: previously
valued in the King’s books at 151. Os. 2id, and yearly tenths
at 1Z. 10s. OH
1835 Horticultural Society established, which lived only for two years.
1835 (November 9,) Municipal Reform Act passed, which effected an
entire change in the corporate body of Chesterfield.
1835 Gilbert Crompton, Esq., the first mayor under the above Act.
1836 (January,) North Derbyshire Chronicle established.
1836 (February 9,) First meeting of the new town-council held.
1836 (July 4,) Act passed for making the North Midland Railway.
1836 (October 25,) New church-clock completed, and west dial lighted
for the first time with gas.
1837 (March 16,) Appointment of trustees for general and church charities
confirmed by the Lord Chancellor.
1837 (May 17,) First stone of Trinity Church laid.
1837 (October 12,) First guardians appointed under the Poor-law
1837 Borough rate revised, according to Act of Parliament.
1838 (January 1,) Commencement of new mode of pauper relief in the
township of Chesterfield.
1838 (January 18,) First marriage in the Unitarian chapel, being also
the first marriage in a dissenting place of worship at Chesterfield
under the new act.
Section below by date
1900 New Cattle Market established by the River Hipper.
The trams in Chesterfield were converted to electricity.
1901 Electric street lighting was introduced in Chesterfield
1910 River Hipper re-sited
1912 Dog Kennels demolished to make way for Markham Road.
1913 Park given to Chesterfield by Alderman Eastwood in Hasland