On this page you will find a selection of some of the late Alec Jackson’s photographs of the coal industry in and around Chesterfield and north eastern Derbyshire.
Alec left these photographs to the society, of which he was member and keen supporter for many years. We are currently scanning and cataloguing them – but they will ultimately end up as a deposit in the Derbyshire Record Office. Please note that CADLHS retains copyright of the images on this page. They may be reproduced elsewhere, but not for commercial gain. Reproduction must include the source of the image (i.e. a link to this website). Further details are contained in our social media and website policy.
Alec was a life-long Chesterfield resident. Having attended secondary school at Tapton House, he went on to be a fully qualified National Coal Board (NCB) trained electrician, who spent some time at Glapwell Colliery. He later moved to the NCB’s Avenue Coal Carbonisation Plant site at Wingerworth from where he retired as District Manager of National Fuel Distributors Ltd. Many former staff of the National Coal Board may remember him particularly for his work in organising concessionary coal deliveries.
Alec was keenly interested in local history, local mining in particular. He contributed to our own publications – including a joint (with David Jenkins) local history paper (number 20) on the history of Whitecotes Colliery at Boythorpe. Alec had worked at Wagon Repairs Ltd from 1944-5. This no doubt spurred his second local history paper (number 37) on the history of the works and carried his reminiscences of the time he spent there. Alec also undertook work in identifying local newspaper articles before the advent of the British Newspaper Archive. He died in August 2020, aged 91.
(Our thanks to CADLHS members Meave and Peter Hawkins for this information on Alec Jackson, supplemented by his obituary which originally appeared in the Derbyshire Times).
The Avenue Coal Carbonisation Plant, Wingerworth
It’s perhaps not surprising that the Avenue Plant, opened by the NCB as a coal carbonisation plant in 1958, features in Alec’s photographs, alongside local collieries. The plant closed in 1992. We won’t detail its history here but there is a very brief summary in our article on the plant.
(For ease of reference the first four images below are a duplicate of those on our main gallery page).