Members may remember that at the AGM last February we were short of volunteers for the position of committee members. At the last committee meeting held on the 13th September it was decided to co-opt Christine Merrick onto the committee. Christine organised the walk round Old Whittington during the summer and guided Barry Bingham through his talk on Old Whittington at the September meeting.
People who attended the meetings at the end of the last session will be aware that the meeting room did on occasion get rather full and consequently rather hot. Even worse we were reaching the limit imposed by the number of chairs available. In future all meetings will be held in the Church except on the rare occasions that the Church requires it. Entry will be from the front of the Church and not from the rear to avoid the risk of someone falling down the awkward steps between the front and the rear.
As before for Oct 18th and Nov 15th
We already have one volunteer for the Member’s evening on December 13th – we could do with another one or two speakers for a short presentation of about 20 minutes.
We now have three volunteers and a possible fourth – please put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard.
Mr A Greenhough was the Headmaster of William Rhodes Senior School from when it opened in 1931 until 1938 when he became the Deputy Borough Education Officer, before becoming Borough Education Officer in 1942. In 1952 he instigated the award of the Greenhough Medallion to be presented annually, usually at Speech Day and Prize Giving, to a pupil or member of staff whether past or present who, by their service or achievement, had enhanced the reputation of the school.
The first recipient was P.W.Pearson in 1953, deputy headmaster at the time, who had recently been awarded the Royal Humane Society testimonial for an attempted rescue of a man from the sea in Cornwall. Other recipients included headmaster A.N. Crookes; long serving art master C.Scothern; and D. Windle who followed his father as teacher at the school, forming the school band about 1969 which developed into Rhodian Brass. Not all were masters – P.R. Clarke, was the first student to get into Cambridge University; F.Lowe was the no doubt long suffering caretaker and Lisa Dunks was the only female recipient after girls were admitted into the school in the 1980s. The last recipient was W.T.Chappell, who donated the medallion to the Museum.
Following the 1945 Education Act Chesterfield Borough Council produced an ambitious development plan for education within the borough. Included in the plan was the idea that the William Rhodes and Peter Webster schools should concentrate on applied science and crafts, with William Rhodes concentrating on engineering and building, and Peter Webster concentrating on engineering and mining. The Junior Technical College, which was housed at Towndrow Mill on Lordsmill Street was to disappear and the students absorbed into the two schools.
This necessitated an extensive building programme at William Rhodes and a sizeable extension housing a chemistry lab, metalworking and woodworking shops was opened in 1950. Until 1948 the Council Works Depot was adjacent to the rear entrance to the school on Boythorpe Mount and this may be where the building classes were held after the depot moved out in 1948. Finally in 1952 a new dining room was opened.
This could have been the completion of the building work at that time. It could also account for the design of the medallion, which is inscribe ‘William Rhodes School 1931-1952’ and incorporates a brick-layer’s trowel.
Janet Murphy .
Cavendish Stamps and Model Supplies at 75 Saltergate. Proprietor was Lawrence Arthur Little, a tall thin man, dark haired with horn rimmed glasses and a pencil moustache. He was assisted in the shop by Mrs Pringle. Originally the business was situated on Cavendish Street (hence the name) but by 1952 it had moved to Saltergate. Selling model railways, aircraft kits and accessories in the front of the shop and stamps in the rear of the building it was very popular with young boys. Mr Little also ran a Scalextric Club in the basement.
Later Paget House was associated with Pagets Credit Club which issued cheques to be spent in certain shops which were paid for by a weekly fee, with interest added on of course. When the business was sold the new owners were instructed to return the shop frontage to its previous state. Looking at it now you can barely see where the shop frontage once was.
The Lumsdale Valley is a small wooded gorge of outstanding natural beauty tucked away high above Matlock. With its crumbling stone ruins, waterwheels, ponds and waterfalls, nature has melded with the industrial remains of the past to create an oasis of romantic decay. Lumsdale is also one of the best examples of a water-powered industrial archaeological site in Great Britain and it is unusual to see such extensive use of water power in such a relatively small area.
Chesterfield & District Family
History & Craft Fair 2016
Outwood Academy, Highfield Lane, Chesterfield, S41 8BA.
Saturday 27th August – 10am to 4.00pm
The CADLHS will be there so come along and meet us.
Although there are many cases of brothers being killed during WWI, it is fortunately rare that two are killed on the same day. So it is perhaps surprising that two more brothers with connections with Chesterfield were killed on the same day just over a year later than the Verner brothers.
Joseph Goddard was born at Eckington in 1882 but by 1891 the family, including a younger brother Benjamin, was living in Chesterfield. The brothers were evidently close as by 1914 they were both employed at Barlborough Colliery, played for the same football team, and were living in the same row of cottages in Clowne. They enlisted in the Sherwood Foresters on the same day and went to France together. Benjamin was killed on the night of 24th / 25th June and Joseph on the morning of the 25th. They were buried together, but their remains were never reinterred in a cemetery; they are commemorated on the Menin Gate. Their parents were still living in Chesterfield, which explains the memorial at Spital Cemetery.